Wednesday, April 20, 2016

An Ode to Vintage (and Help Needed)

Admittedly I was born 30 years to late. I have always loved the midcentury 60s and 70s. In elementary school, I wanted to be a hippie when I grew up (in the mid 90s). To date, my favorite band still in the Beach Boys.

I don't know much about vintage though to sell on Etsy. Or at least what to buy. (We looked at a house 4 years ago with a 1950s TV in it, stained glass, harvest gold kitchen, and shag carpeting....We totally would have bought it had it a yard and not on the main street). Anyway back to Etsy. My grandmother passed this last November. I inherited an AMAZING dresser that screams midcentury. (Just so we are clear I NEVER plan on selling this. I'm not much into "stuff" but this dresser makes me happy when I look at it.Weird I know.)


Ignoring the contact paper on top and not in fantastic shape, it is absolutely beautiful. The bottom knobs and curves scream midcentury.

The reseller in me was curious enough to look up similar dressers on Etsy. If you are brave enough to ship one, this style sells for $800-1500 PLUS shipping! Holy cow!

I was also given a box of like 30 scarves to sell or keep etc. I'm having a hard time selling since they were my grandmothers; I decided on 1 to keep and the rest to sell.

For those who deal with vintage more than I, which decade do these look like? Most have no labels or no brand. Those that have labels either say 100% Polyester or 100% Acetate with Made in Italy or Made in Japan. Also what would you ask for them? Most are in perfect shape. Here is a sampling





What do you think and how would you price?


6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, you're not going to get much for the scarves if they're unbranded and not silk. I find one occasionally sells because of sentimentality but they have to be pretty specific. :( Sorry! There are a ton of projects on Pinterest of how to decorate or preserve them in a craft if you decide to keep them. My Grandma had a large collection as well so a few years after her death, I made holiday tree ornaments out of them for everyone in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now there's an interesting thought! I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Im sorry about your grandmother. I know what you mean about having a hard time selling the scarves that were hers. I was the same way with things that were my moms, I finally let go of some things about 2 years ago & just kept the things that were the most special to me, and she passed 16 years ago, so it took a long time. I unfortunately don't have any advice about the scarves, no knowledge with things like that. I love the dresser & am glad you enjoy having it.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I find myself wanting to keep everything but I am equally terrified of the hoarder side of me :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your loss, looks like your grandmother had a good eye I love scarves! Unfortunately I have not had much luck selling them online. I do occasionally sell some on my local Facebook groups, the women on mine seem to love them especially in the fall. Personally I would try to do something like Shannon suggested like a craft project to try and preserve her memory, but I'm not too great with crafty things so I wish you the best, lol. Good luck this coming weekend at yardsales loved the finds from your last post.

    Grace recently posted over at Picked by Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful. That's awesome you have an outlet to sell them on. My mother keeps reminding me she bought them at Goodwill; it's not like its a family heirloom. There is a small 2 toned blue one with lace trim....I'm saving that for my daughter. Something old and something blue LOL!

      Delete