Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Selling Vera Bradley

Slightly over a year ago, Dude at Money in the Garage posted a fabulous article out Vera Bradley (read about it HERE). I loved this article because it spoke not only of the brand but also the issues that arise when family/friends find out what is sourced....family/friends asking for items has never really been an issue for me thankfully until recently.

I have a love/hate relationship with Vera Bradley. I know some people have great luck with the brand but it's a notoriously slow seller for me. I don't pay more than $2 for an item....but mostly I can get the Vera Bradley items for $1.

I know I have a lot of unlisted inventory but the 1 tote specifically that has been nagging at me is the purse one. After procrastinating for oh I don't know how long, I finally pulled it out and started pictures/listing. In total I had 19 Vera Bradley items, 2 Thirty-One Gifts purses, a Disney Parks purse, a Betty Boop purse, and 4 backpacks left to be listed (I had 5 previously listed not in this total). Definately shame on me.....nothing like a couple hundred dollars just sitting around.

I haven't really had purses to sell at 4th quarter since it really isn't my "thing". I am hoping it picks up and sells at a good pace.

1 thing I have learned about Vera Bradley is that not all prints are created equal. Some are vastly more popular than others.

This is the Poppy Fields print. It is 1 I already have listed on eBay. Some other prints you can't barely give away. She has been designing since 1987 so some of the older "vintage" prints are also desireable.

If you run into Vera Bradley and don't know the pattern name a great resource can be found HERE. It is a concise list from the official website of every pattern that has been made. If it's not on that site, you can count on that it's a knock off.

The other thing that I have learned is that not all sizes sell equally well. For example, the size above is not very popular but I also have the same pattern in a large purse/tote size (I took pictures of it yesterday) that I expect to sell quickly. Larger sizes tend to do better in my opinion than standard purses. Wallets have also been a bust for me.

In that last 2 years, I did enjoy buying and reselling Coach purses; however, I no longer touch them at all. Even though I read up on counterfeit items and how to spot them, there are still many that are very hard to tell. In fact, 1 of the reasons I stopped selling them was I had 2 or 3 policy violations and purses removed that were "counterfeit". Not worth possible suspension. I prefer Vera in the way that it is easy to spot a fake by the print catalogue.

Who else sells Vera? Good luck with it or bad? Or Coach? Who has purse stories to swap?!

8 comments:

  1. I've had good luck with Vera Bradley stuff... even if its pretty ratty it still sells.. I just always disclose the flaws and photograph it really well. Diaper bags are VERY popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay away from ratty....although that's good to know. Thankfully most things I find are in decent shape. I keep hoping to find a diaper bag but I haven't yet. I also hope to find the Vera Bradley Disney Store designs but they are still relatively new.

      Delete
  2. The thrift stores here know their brands. (I would say purses but they tend to sell a lot of fake bags.) They will mark them up super high. I sold my Coach purse a few years back. I wish I hadn't since it was a surprise gift from my hubby after I told him about seeing it at a consignment store.

    I don't sell name brand purses on Ebay. Too easy for someone to report it as a fake and bye bye Ebay account. I do have some vintage purses listed but I have been sitting on them a long time. Guess no one else shares my love of vintage purses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our thrift store told me the purse behind their counter was "a great deal at $6.99". I (thankfully) refrained from saying "6.99 for a counterfeit purse that isn't legal to sell isn't a great buy." Our thrift store too is great at names....not so great at knock offs. VB I don't think is knocked up much. I sold a vintage Coach a year or 2 ago and it sold within the month for $60.....maybe depends on style? I don't know much about vintage anything

      Delete
  3. I have sold a few Vera Bradley bags, they usually sell within a couple of months. They were tote bags and cosmetic bags. I also use the same site as you to identify the patterns. I don't sell high end purses for fear of counterfeits also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love totes....I haven't seen a cosmetic bag yet. I love totes and wallets sold as a set the most LOL

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the website for patterns :)

    ReplyDelete