Friday, August 8, 2014

Low Blow eBay.....a (not so) Shocking New Tactic


Disclaimer: this post is a total knee/jerk reaction so it may be a bit harsh toward eBay LOL. 

Excuse the title but I'm a bit pissed. We as eBay sellers are accustomed to eBay doing the best they can to screw us. Not only do they give us the option of "best offer" which there is a whole debate of whether it is a good idea or not, whether they end up being problem buyers, does it raise the number of sales we get, etc. but they are now apparently forcing us to take best offers regardless of whether we want to or not. This must be brand spanking new as it did not appear on other emails I have received today.


This is my original listing. I don't see a best offer, do you? I priced this competitively and did not see the need to add a best offer.

This is what showed up in my Gmail account. I have never seen a "send an offer button" before....hmmmm....so I click the respond button which takes me to eBay's messaging system.



Notice the top right hand side the "send an offer button" with the bubble next to it. Just for giggles, I clicked on it.
The bottom sure enough has the "best offer" screen!!!!!!

Now I'm not making a case of whether best offers are good or bad (I do and I don't depending idem/selling season/mood etc) but apparently eBay is going to decide to let people make us an offer regardless of whether we like it. Although we ARE free to decline them all. I guess they are truly living up to their name of the "online yard sale". 1 thing I do like Amazon is the price you see is the price you pay no negotiating, no haggling. It doesn't show up as a sale till its paid so there is no non-payers.

and just got my ebay groove back too :(

This just really rubs me the wrong way. Does it irritate you too or am I blowing it out of proportion?

13 comments:

  1. Yes. This new "send an offer" is ridiculous since I thought it was against the rules to make a best offer unless the seller has offered it in the listing. So every time a buyer asks me a question I get this message. I'm not going to bid on my own stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if its against the rules but it definately is obnoxious :D I'm not sure why eBay would want to encourage make an offer. the more we sell it for the more they get in fees. Ebay is already usually less than Amazon for most things

      Delete
  2. I'm not very happy with ebay right now anyway, but it does seem to me just another to screw us over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that; my husband and I have had a few "business meetings" to figure out how to minimize our relationship with eBay.

      Delete
  3. I probably shouldn't, but I read the ebay forums now and then to see what the latest gripe is and I have read about this new feature there. I haven't seen it yet though. I usually get emails from people making me offers when I don't have best offer on an item. A couple of times I've marked down an item and told the person that if they don't buy the item by midnight then the price goes back up. This link can help make a sale quicker I guess and save me the trouble of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very true I like your perspective :D I do have to laugh though at the BO feature. I have the clothes marked 40% off (making it pretty much the lowest comparable) and I STILL have buyers offering me 50% of the sale price. No I won't take 2.50 for an abercrombie hoodie LOL. Not that desperate to get rid of them LOL. Wonder what they will cook up next.

      Delete
  4. From what I understand, this button isn't for customers to send a best offer to us. If a customer contacts us with a question or asks us to consider an offer (even when we don't have a Best Offer option), we can send them an offer when we reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. huh. thats interesting. But if the buyer is interested with a question at full price why would we undercut ourselves?

      Delete
    2. We wouldn't. I don't think eBay has the technology to determine what the customer has a question about. The option is there for us just in case the customer wants to make a deal with us and we want to deal with them. But the ball is totally in our court as far as the best offers are concerned.

      Delete
    3. if that's the case, I will admit that's pretty awesome. I know eBay is on the quest of being the lowest price so my assumption was it was a way to undercut us.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I thought it would be a good feature in instances where I had a customer who wanted to purchase multiple items, and then I could offer them a bit of a break. But I can certainly understand the confusion. eBay really should've sent out an email explaining it very clearly before it just popped up on our screens.

      Delete
  5. This feature is not for customers. It is only for sellers. Lots of times I have items listed as buy it now, with no offer, but someone will message me to ask if I am willing to take an offer. Instead of going through the hassle of adding a best offer to the already listed item, this new feature makes it way easier to just make an offer directly to that one customer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen this feature. Maybe they are rolling it out to some sellers to see what the popularity is? oh wait, most of my items already have obo so thats why. duh

    ReplyDelete